The importance of volunteers

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I have been struck recently about the importance of volunteers in work at the church. It is so easy for workers in the church to be seen as the person who has been bought in to do it and they should do it all. But I don't believe we are called to that - I believe we are called to try and do ourselves out of a job - to ensure we train, develop, encourage and support volunteers to the degree where they can take over our ministry.
The wider the team the easier it is too minister to young people for two reasons: firstly one person can only minister to a few young people, Jesus only had twelve disciples and even then he concentrated more on three of the twelve; secondly, hopefully the bigger the team the more varied your team members the more varied the young people you will be able to care for. I am blessed that I enjoy sport and playing sport with young people but I have some leaders who are great at craft, music, dance, drama etc.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

0 comments:

Post a Comment