Schools work

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Schools work is a real opportunity for those working in churches. I am seconded to a local schools work organisation for 16 hours a week. As part of that I work in two local secondary schools helping to organise a Christian Union and a drop-in lunch club in each.

I then spend an afternoon a week in a local primary school doing 'detached work' at lunchtime - hanging around in the playground playing football, teaching RE lessons and then I run a football club after school. In this school over the course of the year I and another schools worker are teaching every 'Christian' part of the RE syllabus to the pupils - what an exciting thing to have Christians teaching Christianity to pupils. On top of that I do assemblies and other things such as sports days etc. at that and another local primary school. This has recently led to a school asking me to become an associate governor with the view to helping in the wider context of the school.

It is great to play a part in the wider community and to develop a link with young people for many years - we can follow them from the start of primary school to the end of secondary school if I stay at the church for 14 years!

What links have others managed to set up with people or groups in the local community?

0 comments:

Post a Comment