Thursday, December 07, 2006
Marko has really been on form with his posting recently. Highlights include the hilarious Butt Scan story, and the Closest Book Meme which works as follows:
The rules are:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next four sentences on your blog, along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that “cool” or “intellectual” book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest!
The nearest book on my desk was Youth Ministry Management Tools, that I have borrowed from my friend Steve. Page 123 and the fifth sentence following is:
"That's the only way you'll ever get a handle on the ministry finances.
First six months:
- After understanding, observing, and personally monitoring the budget for at least six months, you can delegate to a staff person or trusted (experienced) volunteer some of the routine procedures. Request weekly or monthly reports from your volunteer so you can monitor any major income or expense (perhaps more than $25 or $100, depending on the size and scope of your ministry).
- Reevaluate the budget and adjust it according to your ministry needs."
Helpful book, and one that I am hoping to be able to implement some of its thoughts and suggestions in the next few months.