Middle-class syndrome

Thursday, January 11, 2007

I am running a session next weekend on reaching the middle-class syndrome. How do you show a young person that they need God when they have three i-pods etc. I am planning on throwing out some big questions for people to discuss and share ideas but I don’t know if anyone has any pearls of wisdom on this topic. Someone recommended The Road to Whatever: Middle-Class Culture and the Crisis of Adolescence by Elliott Currie. Sounds like an interesting read so will probably end up buying it to look at, give me a shout if you know of any useful literature or have read the book.

2 comments:

Hi Chris! Ed passed your blog to me thinking I might be able to offer some ideas...

I've used the slogan from the 'No Fear' surf t-shirts before, which says 'He who dies with the most toys still dies' and used this alongside Matthew 16:26. Asking questions like 'How much are you worth?' You can figure it out in monetary value in terms of athletic ability, education level, income, amount of exercise, weight, and sense of humor at www.humanforsale.com. Or what about today's news headline about how much people think Beckham's worth in LA? Is he really worth all that money? All this may help you talk about what's really valuable and lasts beyond death. Jesus gave his life so that we could live life fully and forever etc.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

Also if you want you could check out my myspace page for more resources! www.myspace.com/davepegg

Dave

Dave Pegg said...
January 12, 2007 7:01 pm  

Hey Dave

Thanks for those thoughts. Had a quick look at your myspace - I am sure I will be emailing you for some of your resources. How is stuff going with handmade?

Chris

Chris said...
January 14, 2007 11:07 am  

Post a Comment