Children only play in the garden

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

There has been lots of mention today of a survey by the Children's Society on how children shoul be supervised/unsupervised. The report basically says that many parents are denying their children the same freedom to go out unsupervised as they enjoyed, because of fears for youngsters' safety. There is this constant tension between freedom and safety.
43% of the 1,148 adults quizzed said children should not be allowed out with friends until they were 14. However, most said they had been allowed out without supervision aged 10 or younger.

2 comments:

I remember the first time I was allowed out unsupervised... it was my first day at school and all the other kids got picked up, but my mum didn't cause she expected me to walk home! And that was the first time I was allowed out on my own, for the walk home from school! I WAS TERRIFIED! I think I cried most of the way home. Why I was SUDDENLY expected to know what to do because I had gone up to Senior School I don't know!!

Note to parents. NOT A GOOD IDEA!!

Ami said...
June 06, 2007 9:15 pm  

Sounds a bit crazy and extreme! Letting children out on their own needs to be done gradually so as to give them the right support and independence.

Chris said...
June 06, 2007 9:54 pm  

Post a Comment