What if all footballers were as nice as Lee Cook?

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

It has been reported that new Fulham signing Lee Cook has donated his £250,000 signing-on fee to former club QPR. Boyhood Rangers fan Cook knew QPR were struggling for cash and thought they had been paid under the odds by Fulham for his services. He said: “The club were saying that not enough money had been paid for me. I said, 'I'll give you 10 per cent of the sale'. It was totally my decision — there was no pressure from anyone. The transfer had been agreed but I love Rangers and I don't want to see them hard up.”

This is a player making his first move to the top-flight with no guarantee that he won't be back in the Championship within a year. It would be nice to see some more of the hefty cheques from contract re-negotiations and signing-on fees at Premiership level filtered down the leagues. Is this a matter for each player's conscience or should our top-flight multi-millionaires be forced by the FA to share a percentage of their signing-on fees with cash-strapped lower league teams?

at 10:54 pm  

0 comments:

Post a Comment