Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Chelsea and the Dutch FA insist Marco van Basten is not in line to become manager at Stamford Bridge. A Chelsea statement said on Wednesday: "Chelsea totally refute that the job of manager or first-team coach has been offered to any individual other than Avram Grant. No one at Chelsea has been authorised to speak to any individual about the post, either by the board or the owner. Any suggestions that any team plans or arrangements have been changed due to representations from the players are totally false."
When asked whether Chelsea had been in contact regarding Van Basten, Dutch FA spokesperson Anja van Ginhoven told BBC Sport: "No. Van Basten will talk to the Dutch FA at the end of the year about a new contract or leaving after Euro 2008."
So that ends all the speculation? No, of course it doesn't, Avram looks like he is in a temporary role filling in for Chelsea until they get their man, be it van Basten or Hiddink.