Saturday, October 27, 2007
Paula led a session this morning on the topic of Childrens Work. I scribbled some notes down and thought I would post them up here. Check it out:
Planning the context is crucial. Use the ABC:
- Age: e.g. 5-7 J is friend; 7-9 J is hero or King; 9-11 more abstract so can get into more detail
- Ability: you will have different abilities, and learning styles, have a variety of activities and approaches to what you are doing.
- Background: wide disparity in Brentwood; Christian v. non Christian; especially in a school context, diff. faith contexts; all young people have a different starting point.
- Behaviour: clashes between two kids; keep calm and be consistent; child might dominate the group
- Communication: similar to above - use of learning styles etc.
- Content: be aware of what it is you are teaching. Are you giving a balanced view of what God is like?
Other key points:
- Communicate clearly in your team; and lean on your team. We should always try to work with other people. Play to peoples strengths.
- Equipment – depends on what you are doing.
- Prayer – foundation for everything we do.
- Mt 5:13-16 – salt and light
- 2 Cor. 5:19-6:1 – reconciliation, we are ambassadors
- 1 Pet. 2:4ff. – chosen by God
What should be in a craft box - suggestions included
- Felt tip pens
- Split pins
- Cotton wool
- Paper plates
- Use the Pyramid Centre, near Romford (01375 387738)