England always blame the manager

Saturday, November 24, 2007

As I hinted at, England managed to lose against Croatia and so we failed to qualify for Euro 2008. McClaren was blamed for our failure to qualify, and whilst I agree that the manager, the man at the top has to take some responsibility but I have to say, I would be tempted to agree with Roy Keane who criticised some of the England players.

“I don’t think international football is that important to a lot of these players these days and club football has taken over, especially for a lot of top players involved in the Champions League. From the outside looking in, I tend to think there are too many egos in there, too many big heads ... Unfortunately, the manager takes the brunt of it but I do believe players have to take more responsibility, especially at that level ... When you look at the talent that the England lads have got it is really unbelievable they haven't qualified ... When you talk about talent and technique, England have that in abundance at the moment. To say the likes of Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and David Beckham are not technically as good as other players is wrong because they are."

I think he does overstate his case, and that many of the players are passionaite but they certainly don't seem able to gel and play together, and they should take responsibility for their performance. The manager can only do so much, at the end of the day the team, especially the captain are responsible for what happens on the pitch.

at 5:36 pm  

0 comments:

Post a Comment