Friday, November 02, 2007
Marko blogged this, and I thought it was great so am reposting it here completely, especially since November seems to be the month for youth work training events in the UK:
love this list from steve argue about how to make the most of the convention. very closely lines up with what i share in the opening session.
- Go to a seminar you disagree with… to understand.
- Sit in a different spot each session… try to see from another perspective.
- Talk with someone different than you… to learn.
- Seek out a youth workder half your age or twice your age… buy them coffee.
- Spend time being quiet… resist perpetuating busyness in your life.
- Sleep in or stay up late… jolt your natural schedule.
- Support local restaurants, avoid places you could eat at from home.
- Take the long way… let go of efficiency.
- Summarize your notes… share them with someone when you get home.
- Walk around the block.
- Don’t say you’ve been in St. Louis until you’ve done so.
- Sing nothing during worship… listen as though you were hearing the words for the first time.
- Share with someone what the Spirit was saying to you as you listened throughout the plenary gathering… avoid critiquing the message.
- Embrace a quote of the day, image of the day, song of the day, surprise of the day, conversation of the day. Journal them.
- Avoid at all costs saying, “When I was here last time…”