You shouldn't work at a church you wouldn't attend

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mark Dever has written a few comments over at Church Matters about how you shouldn't work at a church you wouldn't want to worship at if you weren't a staff member:

"I know worship pastors who wouldn't be in their present church unless they were being paid. That's not good. Salary shouldn't be the primary means of determining where we serve. And you shouldn't work at a church you wouldn't attend." [from Bob Kauflin's forth-coming book Worship Matters]

Don't you love to read a rarely stated but important truth put clearly?

Of course, pastors can go to a church hoping to change it, but without the pulpit, in a position like "minister of music" that would be very difficult.

at 7:50 pm  

3 comments:

I'm not sure that he's right! In fact, his thinking seems confusing. I agree when he says that salary shouldn't be the primary factor in determining where we serve. But that is very different from saying that we shouldn't serve in a church we wouldn't attend. Surely we go where we believe God calls us and wants us to serve - that's as paid ministers and workers, or as church members. I'm not sure where Mark Dever's thinking fits in with 1 Corinthians 12:18, about God placing the parts of the body, every one of them just as he wanted them to be.

Little Bongo said...
November 26, 2007 11:06 am  

talk about the last days people shall be lovers of money and i think we are there

Anonymous said...
November 27, 2007 12:39 pm  

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I understand where you are coming from. I guess I clearly think that you shouldn't go to any old church just because they are willing to pay a salary.

For me it is about the fit of my gifts and talents, and what the church requires and where its vision is. If where a church's vision is linked to my vision than it is more likely to be a church I would go to regardless of whether or not I worked for it.

Certainly something i want to dwell on and think on a bit more about. I don't think that any church will ever got all the body bits, in a crude way, it is clear that people with more obvious spiritual gifts, e.g. prophecy and tongues are normally involved in more charismatic churches. People go where their gifts will be used.

Chris said...
November 27, 2007 12:53 pm  

Post a Comment