Books I have read: The Organic God

Thursday, January 31, 2008

I really enjoyed reading The Organic God. One of those that you need to read several times as there are so many different layers in which it can be understood.
Here are a couple of quotes I appreciated:

I couldn't help but wonder, What would have happened if Moses kept on walking? In other words, what is Moses saw the flames and smoke [of the burning bush] and thought to himself, "That's interesting, but what I really need to focus on right now is the flock." Would God have still called to him? Would he still have had his moment? Would God have visited him in another way? I do not know. I would like to think so. But I do not know. (pp. 93-94)

Our God is wildly infallible. Nothing is beyond his redemption. Nothing is beyond his restoration. Nothing is beyond his healing power. Not the bruises. Not the scars. Not the pain. (p. 106)

God is unbelievably stubborn in his concern for us. He does not give up. He does not give in. Indeed, God is very stubborn. If seen in a negative light, stubbornness is often synonymous with being inflexible and bullheaded. But God's unwillingness to yield - his stubbornness, if you will - is not haphazard. It's founded in his love - his firmly resolved, absolutely determined, unrelenting love. (p. 147)

2 comments:

Chris,

So do you have any thoughts on what might have happened if Moses hadn't stopped to check out the burning bush?

I'd love to hear what you think might have happened.

M

February 01, 2008 5:18 pm  

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm not really sure. I think my gut reaction is that he would have missed the chance to lead his nation from Egypt, but that God would have given him a different role.

But then you think about Jonah and the lengths God went to to ensure that he did do what he wanted - maybe that would have happened in Moses case, but I don't think that is 'normal'.

Have you any thoughts on that?

Chris

Chris said...
February 04, 2008 7:22 am  

Post a Comment