What does the execution of Saddam Hussein achieve?

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Maybe I am being controversial here, but I'm not sure that the execution of Saddam Hussein achieves all that so many people are saying it will. I know that it is important that we in the West encourage Iraq to develop and uphold its judicial system, and that a key part of that is in making Saddam Hussein and his supporters face up to what they did, but should life be repayed with life. In other situations we appeal against the death penalty as being unnecessary and inhumane yet we haven't heard that much this time. Instead it has been heralded as the big step required for Iraq to continue its independence - personally I can see that but I can't see it stopping his followers carrying on the violent attacks. Who knows.

at 10:18 pm  

0 comments:

Post a Comment